Sunday, March 9, 2008

Cami Lavoie wants to be famous




Yesterday I spent the day with Cami Lavoie, her six-month-old sister Ellie, and their mother Joli Gross, who was one of my college roommates. As Cami already has a godmother, I am her official fairy godmother, which obviously makes sense considering what I write.

As was appropriate for a fairy godmother/goddaughter outing, we went to Serendipity for lunch (well, really, we went for the frrozen hot chocolate, but seeing that that's not exactly a healthy lunch, we coated our stomachs with food first). Cami will be nine in a few weeks, so I got her some Judy Blume books and an origami kit, and she made us matching friendship bracelets which include a sparkly shoe (natch), a taxi (because we met in NYC), an I Heart Dogs(because we like dogs), and a Best Friends Album. It has officially become my most favorite piece of jewelry and I am wearing it as I type this.

During lunch when I asked Cami what she wanted to be when she grew up she said she wanted to be famous. Thankfully Cami is incredibly smart and precocious and funny and kind and as 9-going-on-30, I have no doubt that she will achieve her goal of making an indelible mark on the world that is more in line with coming up with a cure for cancer rather than ending up on Page Six for being seen at the Beatrice Inn.

Right, Cami?

That being said, her birthday invitation says "Come dressed as a rock star or in your favorite outfit to stroll down the red carpet."

No comments: