Thursday, June 26, 2008

Three generations of CINDY readers


I received this a while ago, but I've been remiss in posting it. My bad.

Anyway, when I did a signing at the Barnes & Noble in Huntington Beach, CA, I was lucky enough to meet Fiona and her grandmother Teri, who had both read the book. Unfortunately Fiona's mother Jennifer wasn't feeling well that night, so she wasn't there. I had asked them to send me a picture of the three of them and here it is...along with the emails I received from them.

I feel so lucky to have met them. And I have no doubt we will indeed be reading Fiona's work soon -- I was incredibly impressed by the amount of poise and self-possession she had as a 14-year-old. When I was her age I was slumping down in my seat and hiding behind my hair.

I have to say, I hear a lot of stories from writers who find it absolutely agonizing to have to do readings and deal with real live human beings. Maybe it's because I desperately want to be the center of attention (I do...but then I don't...and then I do...and so on and so on and so on..) but I LOVE meeting the readers. And when I letters like this, it makes all of the struggle and all the hours spent looking at blank computer screens worth it.



Ms. Palmer~ It was amazing to meet you at the Barnes & Noble event in Huntington Beach! I really enjoyed talking with you, hearing about your experiences, and also getting your best friend's side of things. Your advice on book writing was very helpful! I am super excited for your next book to come out next year!!! Hopefully, thanks to your advice, you'll be seeing my work soon.

Sincerely,
Fiona

Ms. Palmer~ My mother and daughter both attended your talk/book signing at our local Barnes & Noble a few weeks ago. They both came back singing your praises! My 14 year old daughter, Fiona, especially, was literally vibrating from the experience. The way you spoke to her, answering all of her questions, the fact that your friend also took the time to tell Fiona what you were like while writing---it truly touched me. Not only have you written a heart-warming, funny, unique book, but to give of your personal time to answer a young starry eyed girl questions, you impress me. Thank you for not shooting down her dream of being a writer and also for not making writing sound like a lark, but a real job! All 3 generations; my mother Teri, myself Jennifer, and my daughter Fiona, loved your book and look forward to all your future work. My 10 year old is chomping at the bit to be allowed to read your book also. Attached is the picture you asked Fiona to send you of the 3 of us. You have all of our permission to use the picture on your website or whatever.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Baumann

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is totally my favorite, ever. (favorite what, you ask? favorite EVERYTHING)

Little Willow said...

3 generations of readers = How awesome!