Monday, October 27, 2008

Please don't feed the mermaid


If you're in New York and you want to see something surreal on Wednesday, come to Datavision, located at 445 5th Ave. at E. 39th St. at 11am where you'll be able to see me sitting in a front window display space--yes, you read that right--reading from a Sony Digital Reader as part of National Book Month.

From the press release thingy:

WHO: Beginning Oct. 1, World-renowned speed reader and Guinness World Record-holder for memory, David Farrow, will live and read his way through 30 days (or 720 hours) in a front window display space in New York City to coincide with National Book Month.

WHY: In an effort to combat a nationwide decline in reading, particularly among young people, Sony Electronics is spearheading a “Reader Revolution” with the goal of sparking the imaginations of young readers and engaging the public in digital reading and the donation of 15 million eBooks to schools nationwide.

For every page Farrow turns on his Sony Digital Reader, Sony will give an eBook library of 100 classic titles to a U.S. school. Sony’s goal is to provide 150,000 eBook libraries, or 15 million eBook classics, to schools and learning institutions nationwide.

WHAT THE HELL I HAVE TO DO WITH THIS: I have offered to be a “relief reader,” which means that I have agreed to sit there like something in an aquarium so the poor guy can go to the bathroom or get something to eat.

To be honest, I have no idea what the hell I have gotten myself into. When I finally took the time to read the fine print, all I could think of was this hotel in L.A. on Sunset Blvd called The Standard where, in the lobby behind the reception desk, there's a woman in a glass cage. I can't remember if she was supposed to be a mermaid or not, but that's what I seem to recall. Maybe that's just because I like mermaids.

Anyway, if you're around and have nothing better to do on Wednesday morning, come by and check it out.

But please don't feed the mermaid.

Or heckle her.

I take that back--if you bring cupcakes, you can feed her.

Sadly I won't be reading from CINDY ELLA because, um, it's not currently part of the Sony eBook library. That being said, neither is ARE YOU THERE GOD, IT'S ME MARGARET, CATCHER IN THE RYE, or FROM THE MIXED UP FILES OF MRS. BASIL E. FRANKWEILER, which were the other books I asked if I could read from, so at least I'm in good company.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have had the oddest fear of the Standard Hotel for years. I think you have answered why-- That woman in the glass booth. Reminds me of my early years being forced to visit Weeki Watchee Springs and subsequent nightmares about the ladies getting their breathing tubes clogged and ending that jovial feel of that glass bottom boat ride for all.

Wish I could be there to see your speed reading!
Read on, Robin!