Monday, June 22, 2009

To make up for being such a horrible blogger...

....I have two gifts for you:


Okay, so as many of you know, when people ask me what I miss most about L.A., I tell them that in addition to Target, one of things I miss most is my 4:30pm M-W-F yoga class with Lucy Bivins. I know yoga's all about non-attachment, but I got very attached to Lucy. And ever since I moved to NY two years ago, I've felt like Goldilocks in terms of trying to find teachers I like. This one's too fast. This one's too slow. This one's just plain annoying. But I have to say that Katie Malachuk has become my favorite teacher in town. She's super knowledgeable and wise and funny and talks just the right amount. She teaches at the Downtown location of Yogaworks and you can see her schedule here



(BTW, I also like Keith Yzquierdo and Julie Marx a lot, too). (Oh, and I also like Paula Lynch but she teaches uptown and now that I live downtown I've become one of those annoying NYers who won't go north of 23rd Street. But she's really good and I used to take her all the time when I did live uptown.)

So one day during class she mentioned she had just written a book and because I'm nosy I said "So what's your book about?" and she told me it was called YOU'RE ACCEPTED: LOSE THE STRESS. DISCOVER YOURSELF. GET INTO THE COLLEGE THAT'S RIGHT FOR YOU and it's a guide to getting into college and it sounds really amazing. In fact, you preorder it from Amazon by clicking here.

So for you guys who are going to be applying to college, buy the book. Or even if you're long out of college, buy it anyway and give it to someone who will be.

And the second thing is this:

You have to watch this amazing talk by Elizabeth Gilbert, author of EAT PRAY LOVE about creativity. Every time I think it's all on me to figure this stuff out vis a vis the writing (or just, like, life in general), I watch this and I start to breathe again.



Okay, I feel like I've just earned some seriously good karma turning you guys on to this stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say I am glad I read the book. I will watch this. I love TED. When shall I see you seeing me seeing you? And where?